Sunday, August 11, 2013

On Wasp Stings

We got a car about a month ago.  We've been without a car since well before Aria was born so we've been making up for lost time and having Sunday Family Adventures. Today's family adventure was in the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness of the Mt. Hood National Forest.  It was gorgeous.  Lots of beautiful, lush old growth and by the looks of the overgrown trail, not as well traveled as you would think, given you can drive right up to the trail head.
I like to refer to these as Dr. Seuss trees.  Aria prefers "hairy trees."
Anyhow, the hike was pretty decent.  Not exceptionally tough but a steady incline which got me huffing and puffing. Unfortunately, a few miles into the hike, Aria started yelping in pain.  I figured she got stuck by a thorn but when I got closer I saw a wasp hanging off her calf.  The damn thing didn't want to disengage either and it took me tapping the thing a number of times before it finally flew off.  Phil made a poultice from some tobacco and then bandaged her leg up.  We asked if she wanted to head back but she insisted on continuing. She seemed okay so we decided that we would continue and keep a close eye on her for any signs of an allergic reaction.  She got pretty far before deciding that perhaps we should head back to the car.   
The poor lass sitting for a spell contemplating life's important questions, like why, oh why did the wasp sting me!?
On the way back to the car, Aria started off with a diatribe against wasps.  I do believe her words were, "I don't like those hateful things.  Momma, I can say that, you know.  Because its the only bad word that I know, and I know what it means and I am really mad at that wasp.  Can I say that word?" (I should note that "hateful" is actually not the only bad word that she knows. In fact, she knows quite a number of choice words, but I suppose I should be relieved that she couldn't remember them in the heat of the moment.  heh.)
And just so everyone knows, I assured her that yes, indeed, I was okay with her using that word as I felt it was most appropriate given the circumstances.

I suppose her anger dissipated rather quickly because not even a few yards down the trail, Aria started to express concern and worry about the damn wasp.

Aria: Momma, I feel bad for the wasp.
Me: What? Why?
Aria: Because I must have kicked it, maybe I stepped on its home.
Me: Well that is very sweet of you, but since you didn't do it on purpose, I think you shouldn't worry about it too much.
Aria: It was an accident but I can't tell the wasp that.  I wish I could say, 'hey wasp, I didn't mean to kick you.  I didn't do it on purpose.  Sorry, wasp.'
Me: ...okay...
Aria: That might help the wasp feel better.
Me: Uhm...Sure...right.

The good news is not even a wasp sting can keep Aria the explorer down for long.  Finding a creek rejuvenated her spirits.

~Cheers!~
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment